The Kickstart Scheme
Wednesday 31st March 2021
In the summer of 2020, the Chancellor announced a new employer initiative aimed at creating 6 month paid work placements for young people aged between 16 and 24 who are at risk of becoming long-term unemployed. The scheme is a fantastic opportunity for both business owners and young people, and could provide the additional hands needed as we all get ready to leave lockdown.
Are you eligible?
The Kickstart scheme offers a grant to cover the National Minimum wage and National Insurance contributions of a young person to work for your business. The grant is open to businesses of all sizes and sectors but in order to apply your placement needs to fit the following criteria.
- The placement needs to be a minimum of 25 hours per week for 6 months
- Pay must be at least the minimum wage (the grant will cover this)
- The role must only require basic training
- You must offer support to the young person to become more employable through CV and interview preparation and more
The placement must not:
- Replace existing or planned vacancies
- Cause existing employees, apprentices or contractors to lost work or reduce their working hours
The benefits of the Kickstart scheme
Benefit to businesses
- You will get £1,500 funding per job placement
- The scheme will cover 100% of the minimum wage for 25 hours per week for 6 months (you can top up their pay if you wish)
- It will also cover associated National Insurance contributions
- And employer minimum automatic enrolment contributions
Benefit to young people
- Paid work
- On the job work experience and training
- The knowledge and skills that you provide
- Networking in a professional environment
How can you apply?
You can either apply through a gateway which will support you through the application process or you can apply directly through the government website.